Tuesday, January 1, 2008

It Can't Be Worse Than Last Year

It’s 2008. The year is really irrelevant, the holiday itself is a Christian observance, the pagans of Britannia recognized the new year on April 1st, thus the initiation of April Fool’s Day (look it up, people). Chinese and Jewish New Years are at different times of the year. However, the majority of the world recognizes the Christian New Year.

I watched the Adaman club set off their fireworks from a snowcapped Pike’s Peak, watched the colors reflect from the mountain top, and show brightly through the southern Colorado sky. It was beautiful. Oh, I’ve seen more elaborate displays, after all, I’m originally from a city with one of the premier fireworks factories in the country. I’ve watched fireworks shot from the three tallest buildings in the city, viewed from 5 miles away. I’ve watched fireworks shot from barges on the Ohio river and a pyrotechnic waterfall effect. It’s amazing, it really is. But this display, from the top of Pike’s Peak, well, it was special.

This display was special, not only because of the effort the Adaman club puts into the display every year, hiking (not driving) to the top of Pike’s Peak, carrying what they need to the top, not even because today the low is below zero - get down safe, guys. But because 2008 is the first year in a long time that I’ve looked forward to. Yes. I’m really looking forward to it. So I’ve been let go. So I had to field calls from Calcutta regarding my mortgage payment (after having been laid off from a mortgage call center). So I have had to borrow money from my father to make ends meet this month (and believe me, I know how lucky I am that I can do that). I’m starting classes in a week. I’m attending a school that wants me to succeed. I’m going to get my MBA and I’m going to be able to get a job that actually pays well. I’m going to be able to afford a real couch and a real dinette and a refrigerator. I’m going to be able to afford to replace my car and hire a plumber to fix my toilets. I’m going to be able to do what my mother couldn’t. She was better off than the generation before her, and I intend to continue the trend.

I’m really looking forward to this year. Happy New Year. And God bless.

No comments: