Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cornhole?!?

Okay, so on my way home this past weekend, I was faced with an interesting discovery. On the longest leg of my flight, Colorado Springs to Atlanta, I sat beside a woman going home to Richmond, Indiana. I’ve been to Richmond, it was close enough to my college that my choir actually had performances there. Really interesting during Daylight Savings, since Richmond didn’t change their clocks and we did. One weekend, we were going to Richmond on Saturday and Sunday, the weekend of Daylight Savings. On Saturday, we had to arrive by 7:00 AM eastern. On Sunday, 8:00 AM. It was kinda nice, considering I’d been out partying the night before. I can’t remember if that’s the infamous drunken singing incident, but that’s not important right now. Actually, none of that had a thing to do with the topic.

The woman beside me was going home to Richmond. Somewhere in the conversation, she brought up Cornhole. Huh? She explained that Cornhole was a game involving a board and corn bags – that’s bean bags filled with corn instead of beans – tossed at a board with a hole. The ultimate goal, somewhat obviously, is to get the bag through the hole.

I didn’t really give it a second thought. Just figured it was some rural Indiana thing. Lots of corn grown out there, and not much else to do unless you’re near Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Louisville or Chicago (a lot of places aren’t), gotta do something to pass the time. I landed in Dayton, drove through the 4th of July fireworks – on the third – to Sharonville, suburb of Cincinnati, got my White Castle (nummy) and went to my hotel. Friday, I went to my father’s house and hung out with them for a bit. There was a white board on their deck that I didn’t pay much attention to. Their house has always been the Kool-Aid house for our family, so they tend to have all sorts of random stuff. For those who aren’t old enough, or too senile to remember, there were commercials back in the 70s and 80s for Kool-Aid, showing a house where all the neighborhood congregated.

Saturday, I went to a picnic at my stepmother’s niece’s house, where there was food and family and games. Off to one side of the yard, there were four boards with holes set up, and the men were pitching beanbags at them. Well, not quite, I now know they were corn bags. Yes. There was a lively game of Cornhole going on. My naturally-keen sense of observation let that pass me by. For some reason, my brain just thought of that as horseshoes. I didn’t connect it to the conversation I’d had on the flight in two days prior.

Sunday, back to my father’s house for another picnic, this to take the place of the cancelled family reunion. Pretty local, and most of the people there shared at least one parent with me, so really it wasn’t that much different from other large gatherings at my father’s house. Off to the side of the house, by the driveway, my nephew had taken the white board I had previously ignored, along with another and some bags and set them up. At last, I made the connection. Cornhole? Here?!? Can’t be! My nephew called for players. This wasn’t even new! This had been going on for some time. Both my nephew and my youngest brother knew how to score, had strategies and even tips for novices! So I hear about this game from a woman who lives in Indiana, originally from California, and see it at my father’s house. He had a “pocket” version, too, with teeny little bags and teeny little boards.
But wait, there’s more!

Cornhole is apparently an old game. From the American Cornhole Association website:

What is Cornhole?

It has been called many things, Corn Toss, Bean Bag, Bean Toss, Soft Horseshoes, Indiana Horseshoes, but to many of us born and raised in Kentucky and the southern part of Ohio, the game is passionately referred to as Cornhole.

It has been said that the game originated in Germany in the 14th century, and then was rediscovered in the hills of Kentucky over 100 years ago.


I must admit, its provenance of being from Germany has me a little concerned. I don’t seem to recall a proliferation of corn in Europe until after the US was invaded by the British. It’s a new world grain. Still, I suppose they could have used something else.

Just the same, there’s yet more. From the American Cornhole Organization website:
But Wait! Is it corn hole or cornhole. Official Corn Hole Rules or Official Cornhole Rules. The Official Word for this Game of Fun and Sport of Challenge is Cornhole one word not Corn Hole two words. So get with the Program and let's move on.


That’s right, there are two Cornhole groups, and they both have tournaments. They do, however, also have different throwing distances. The ACA requires 33 feet between platforms, while the ACO only requires 27 feet, 24 for amateurs. Both groups are official, both have rules and regulations, and the aforementioned tournaments.
From the ACA homepage:
The American Cornhole Association was established by a small group of dedicated Cornholers from the west side of Cincinnati, Ohio. It has grown over the years and, to the best of our knowledge, now represents the largest organized Cornhole / Corn Toss association in the United States.

Nothing on the ACO page about their founding. I’m a little disappointed about that. But there is this:

Cornhole the Movie Is Coming Soon!
— A Message from Director, Tim Clarke —
Tim Clarke, Director of Cornhole The Movie, tells us they are just days away from finishing up post production!...Check out the cornhole movie trailer at YouTube and pass it along to friends, family, and any other cornhole fans you know!


In case you missed it, the movie trailer is on You Tube – Cornhole: The Movie. Or you could go to the official website – Cornhole: The Movie. All I can think of is Simply Ballroom.

This is really disturbing. I’ve watched the trailer a few times, and I recognized some of the sponsors they show in the tournament section. Cincinnati brands. And the quick shot of the city skyline? Cincinnati. Yep. I can name those buildings. I’ve been in some of them. I have pictures on my Photobucket account from the top of one of them. I went on to the rest of the site. It confirmed my worst fears. The movie has the Cornhole Championship in my hometown, Cincinnati, Ohio. Well, at least we’re good at some sport.

I’m not. I played with my nephew, youngest brother and his fiancĂ©e. I’ve found yet another sport I suck at. Once, I thought I might be able to master a sport, of any type. No. Extreme right field in softball, a team happy to see me rotated out in volleyball, good only as a distraction in basketball, and now, unable to hit the broadside of a…Cornhole board.

I’m so embarrassed.

No comments: