Friday, November 30, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Monday evening, I think it was, I was watching television, after unpacking and getting settled back into my house. I happened to catch the famous Jimmy V ESPY awards speech from 1993 (look it up, it’s actually pretty cool). I’d heard a lot about this one, and wanted to hear it for once. Usually, inspirational speeches only remind me of how pathetic and useless I really am, how pointless my very existence has become, and other equally cheery thoughts.

This time, though, something clicked. Not sure if it was the euphoria left over from a stressful drive after a stressful day after a relaxing week, or if it’s the beginning of a mid-life crisis, but this one hit me differently. I had a voice mail message from a recruiter at Colorado Technical University. I’ve been toying with the idea of going back to school for some time, now, but I couldn’t decide for what. No point going back if you don’t know why you want to go. Waste of time and money if you do that. Well, I finally figured out a direction I’d like to go…don’t laugh…accounting. I called back and left a message telling her I was still very interested in meeting with her, to find out what CTU could do for me. Thursday, I met with her.

She and I clicked almost immediately. Dunno if she’s just an amazing sales person, or if we really did click that well, but it was an informative afternoon. What I’d planned on taking at most an hour, took over three. I didn’t even notice until I got out to my car and saw the clock on the dashboard. For me, the campus was a nice fit, but more importantly, the program was.

Interesting thing, the tangential conversations started with a comment on her artwork and music in the background. Happened to be two of my favorite artists, Beethoven and Van Gogh. She had a Klimt work over the door, too. Then we started talking about arts and entertainment. She’d moved here from a larger city, like myself, and was dying for a cultural scene. As much as I love Colorado Springs, culturally, it’s sorely lacking. I pointed out that it would require a drive to Denver, and for many of these things, it would be worth it. We lost another five minutes talking about the Artisans and Kings exhibit at the Denver Art Museum, and more time about the Denver Nature and Science museum Titanic exhibit. She hadn’t been, I recommended she go. That one started off with a comment that I was about sick to death of the Titanic, so I only went because I wanted to spend time with some friends. So worth the drive. And I wound up hanging out with my friends until midnight.

But I digress. Connected quite well, got a tour of the campus. Very small campus, very small classes, regionally accredited college. The last is the most important, since that affects transferability of credits and financial aid. Next thing I know, I’m registering as a student. Yup. A student. Like I said, I’d been considering going back to school for some time, just didn’t know why I would go. Now, if the financial aid works out, I’ll be starting classes in January, an MBA-Accounting candidate. Usually, when I make a decision I shouldn’t have, I regret it, experience buyer’s remorse. While I did wake up in the middle of the night experiencing a bit of anxiety, it was more about having to wait a quarter to start classes instead of starting right away.

I’m still looking for a job, I can take classes while working. I do, of course, have limitations as far as that goes, there are jobs I flat-out can’t do. But there has to be something out there, right?

No comments: